4th of July is everybody’s favorite…. except for some of our animal friends. Unfortunately, so many animals go missing because they are so frightened of fireworks. Let’s make sure to keep your animals safe this year and have fun!
- Keep your pets indoors at home in a sheltered, quiet area.
Some animals can become destructive and panic when frightened, so be sure that you’ve removed any items that your pet could destroy or that would be harmful to your pet if chewed.
- Leave a television or radio playing at normal volume to keep him company and drawn out 4th of July fireworks.
- Best to stay home with your pet. Make sure to give your dog extra exercise during the day to wear him or her out.
- If you know that your pet is seriously distressed by loud noises like thunder, consult with your veterinarian before July 4th for ways to help alleviate the fear and anxiety he or she will experience during fireworks displays.
You can purchase “stress & anxiety” supplements to help calm their nerves. A lot of online pet stores via Furry Friends Shopping page. (Shopping from these links will donate %s to FFR!)
Other Helpful Tips!
- 10 Pet Tips For a “Safe & Sane” Independence Day by SF SPCA
- Fourth of July Safety by ASPCA
- Pet Friendly 4th of July Pet Safety Tips: 101 Dog Care Tips- Tip 55 by Best Bully Sticks Healthy Dog Blog